Torrents and peer-to-peer sharing have a bit of a bad rep on the internet among general consumers and media makers. Sure, torrent sites and P2P file transfers are no doubt used for piracy, malicious intents, and plenty of other harmful and unsafe technologies, but that doesn’t mean that it can’t be used for good. There are several legal uses for torrents and torrent clients that make use of of the speed and efficiency that torrenting can offer a Windows user, all without the legal tightropes people are forced to walk to avoid retribution by copyright holders and legal groups.
BitTorrent and other torrent services have been used for game updates and patches, downloading content from the internet archive, grabbing Linux and other free or open-source ISOs, and distributing any large amounts of data in a quick and efficient manner. And this even discounts free and non-copyrighted content, including films like Night of the Living Dead that have been entirely removed from the US Copyright Office. Some artists, most notably Radiohead’s frontman Thom Yorke, have teamed with BitTorrent in the past to use the service as an online, totally-legal store interface
Important Note :
Attention All Streamers: Here’s a few facts for you about the potential dangers of streaming online while unprotected:
- Your ISP has a direct window into everything you view and stream on the web
- Your ISP is now LEGALLY allowed to sell that information about what you view
- Most ISPs don’t want to deal with lawsuits directly, so oftentimes they will pass along your viewing information to protect themselves, further compromising your privacy.
The only way to protect your viewing and identity in the 3 above scenarios is by using a VPN. By streaming content directly through your ISP, you potentially expose everything you view on the internet to both them, as well as those who’s interest they might be protecting. A VPN protects that. Follow these 2 links and you’ll be streaming securely in no time:
- ExpressVPN is our VPN of choice. They are extremely fast and their security is top notch. Get 3 months free for a limited time
- Learn How To Install a VPN on Your Fire TV Stick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVPrSu9Su4 Torrents and peer-to-peer sharing have a bit of a bad rep on the internet among general consumers and media makers. Sure, torrent sites and P2P file transfers are no doubt used